warning

ENTER AT YOUR OWN RISK
There's no telling what might follow, you have been warned.

Monday, August 8, 2011

Its a crazy world

I had so many things I was going to talk about today I dont know if I have the time or energy to put them all here. I will start with my first one and perhaps I will put the other one in later. I was reading over the weekend about a convention in Vegas for hackers. There was a lively debate going on about the topic of children and the fact the convention had a special forum for kids from ages 6 to 13. I have some pretty strong opinions about hackers in general. The entire concept seems to be digital trespassing and I wonder if it is a good thing to be condoning to children. There are all kinds of arguments about black hat and white hat and gray hat hacking but it all comes down to hacking. I saw the argument that we needed to train young people hacking skills to better combat black hat hackers. I suppose there could be some validity to that argument although I really see very little. I view hacking the same as breaking and entering whether its a digital domain or someones house its the same concept to me. If someone is breaking into your house late at night do you really care what color hat they wear? Are you really going to wait and find out if they have ill intent or are just innocently looking around? Does it even matter what their intent is? It is still trespassing at best and just gets worse from there. People say white hat hacking actually forces companies to upgrade security and that is a good thing. I saw bank robbery forces banks to upgrade security does that mean bank robbery is a good thing? Even if no one is injured in the robbery its still a crime and should be punished as one. Why would anyone condone such actions? As long as the robbery is taking other peoples money it is a statistic but if they get yours its a crime and needs to be stopped. Hacking seems to be the same thing as long as hackers are not bothering me then its mostly harmless but if they hit me its a whole different story, this seems to be the attitude from this convention and even the federal government which was there and actually giving lectures. I often wonder if the organizers of this convention would be happy if someone hacked them and their systems. Do they take security precautions against hackers or do they allow free access to their private and personal information to anyone that wants it? I hope you realize that was a rhetorical question because Im sure they are the most security minded people out there. Doesnt that seem a bit of a double standard? Its ok for us to hack you but its not ok for you to hack us. It annoys me when things like that go on and no one seems to point out the glaring hypocrisy involved. Well think Im done now I could go on and on but Im starting to type angry and I dont think my old keyboard could take much more. talk to you later

No comments:

Post a Comment