warning

ENTER AT YOUR OWN RISK
There's no telling what might follow, you have been warned.

Friday, October 26, 2012

Successful?...Really?

I have been doing a lot of thinking lately. I have had an idea running through my head for some time now. I have been laying the ground work for actually writing something on the subject. I had a basic outline in my head already. It was based on my own personal experiences as well as observation of others actions.

I was narrowing down the idea of what it takes to be successful in anything. There are countless experts out there talking about and teaching this subject. I have read and listened to more experts than I can count.

I had pretty much completed my research on the subject. I was actually going to sit down and write out my outline today. It was going to be a short work. I had it down to three points. Nice, neat and easy to explain. Probably one of my better works if I do say so myself.

For some strange reason, before I actually started working I decided to look at the news. I really don't know why. Usually when I decide to get to work I try to avoid doing things that will distract me. But this time I didn't. This time I read this story. It hit me like a ton of bricks.

I has missed the one part that really counted. The one thing that really makes all those other things I was thinking about come in second place at best. the underlying reason for everything else I was planning to write. This is one of the few times I think answering the question why really matters.

I have always been much more of a How does it work kind of guy. Why it works doesn't really matter too much for me as long as it works and I know how to make it work. If I have to move around in a dark room. Knowing How to turn on the light is much more important than knowing why the light works. If I only know why the light works I am still stuck bumping my way around a dark room.

But this story made me realize the entire concept of success requires a why. Without that why there really is no success. If you do not have the answer to this why you will never be successful. You may become wealthy yet without this you will never truly feel successful.

You want to know that why? Here it is.

Help Others

That's it, You can be wealthy and still not see yourself as successful. You can be wealthy and live a miserable life feeling unfulfilled the entire time. Or you can be poor and miserable with the same feelings.

Money, Fame, celebrity status, none of those things come close to the feeling of success you will ever reach by simply helping someone else. Not because you have to, Not because you expect anything from it, Not for any reason but because it is the right thing to do.

If you can get this down nothing else will really matter as much any more. If you do not get this down then nothing else you do will make a difference. And in the end tru success is all in your mind. In the end when you look back on your life it will not be money or things or fame you will regret. It will those times you knew you could make a difference in someone elses life and you chose not to that will be your biggest regrets.

And isn't being able to look back at your life in the end and have the fewest possible regrets the best measure of success possible?

In case you are interested and I have no idea how long this story will be up but HERE is the story I read that prompted all of this in the first place.

1 comment:

  1. I had just finished reading the same article when I saw your blog post.
    I love what you took from the article, and couldn't agree more.

    ReplyDelete